· By Brian Farrell
American-style fluffy pancakes with ice-cream and a warm salted butterscotch sauce.
Sea-salted butterscotch sauce
250ml pouring cream.
170g soft dark brown sugar
1tsp West of Dingle Sea salt
Firstly, melt the butter in a pan. Once melted add in the sugar, salt and cream. Boil for 4 minutes stirring continuously until it coats the back of a spoon.
American-style fluffy pancakes
3 lrg eggs
115g plain flour
1 heaped teaspoon baking powder
A pinch of sea salt
- Separate the eggs (put the whites in to one bowl and the yokes into another)
- Add the flour, baking powder and milk to the yokes and mix to a smooth thick batter.
- Whisk the whites with the salt until they form stiff peaks. Fold this into the batter and it’s ready to use.
- Heat a non-stick pan to medium heat.
- Scoop a large spoon (we use an ice-cream scoop) of batter on to pan and fry for a couple of minutes until it starts to look golden and firm. Loosen with a spatula and flip over. Continue frying until both sides are golden.
Serve with a big dollop of ice-cream and drizzle the warm salted butterscotch sauce all over just before eating.
That’s Pancake Tuesday and Valentines all rolled in to one!